Helpful Tips on How to Get Paid for Freelance Card Writing
There is an opinion that freelance writing is a thing that can bring you tons of money without efforts. Still, it’s a mistaken point of view that can confuse beginners in this area. In fact, there are several steps that will help you become a freelance writer, make some money, and get paid for the things you do.
- If you want to become a good writer, determine the sphere in which you want to work. There are content writers, reporters, article writers, and even people who make money composing texts for greeting cards. If the latter option is the thing you are searching for, you need to know that the sphere is not heavily attacked by wannabe writers, yet, the competition can be quite tough.
- What is writing for greeting cards? It’s a skill of composing short, pretty, smart texts that are posted in greeting cards dedicated to different occasions. There are certain traditional things that are normally said on the occasion of a certain event. You need to keep them in mind but make them sound less banal. Your task is to compose a greeting that sounds lovely, traditional enough but fresh, bright and catchy.
- What you need in the first turn is good grammar. Nobody wants their cards to be signed with illiterately composed texts. Make sure that you know the meanings of such words as “anniversary”, “condolence”, and many others that can be sent with postcards.
- If you are not good in versing, you’d better give up trying. There are plenty of greeting cards that are signed with dully composed verses. It should better be a short text in prose with bright metaphors and nice wishes, rather than useless versed stuff.
- Searching for job offers, try smaller local companies that issue greeting cards first. Chances of getting a job in a big company without any experience of working in this sphere are very little.
- If you want to get in touch with the editor who deals with other freelance writing candidates, attach to your letter several your own suggestions. Always use your own ideas because plagiarism is not what is highly appreciated in such matters.
- Make sure that even if you haven’t received a response from the editor, you are not too persistent. In the meanwhile, try your luck in other agencies. Make another attempt on the occasion of another holiday, a month or two before it but not too frequently. If you are offering greetings that are not seasonal (wedding, anniversary, birthday cards), send the editor your ideas once in several months.