Common Pros and Cons of Online Freelance Writing Jobs
One can often hear that online freelance writing is a dream job that will bring you a great deal of money with little effort.
There is no arguing the fact that in some cases this can be true. However, you should never forget that no matter what, it’s still a job. This means that you should be realistic and think carefully before you choose this career path, as there are both pros and cons to be considered.
Pros of Being a Freelance Writer:
- You can be your own boss in the matters of scheduling work hours and choosing how and where you want to work.
- If you manage your time wisely, you can also take a day off when necessary without losing any money and damaging your reputation as a reliable high-quality writer that always meets deadlines.
- If your relationship with a client doesn’t work out, you can simply walk away and work with someone else. There are plenty of job opportunities for freelance writers, so there is no need to limit yourself.
- The sky is the limit when it comes to determining the amount of money one can earn in this business. There are some writing jobs that will bring you several hundreds of dollars a day. All that you have to do is to find them.
- You are the boss, which means that you are the one to determine whether you succeed or fail. Freelance writing, like no other job, depends on the person doing it. There are plenty of opportunities in this field, and it will be up to you to find and take them.
If you look at the freelance writing career this way, it may seem like there is nothing to keep you from success. However, there is always a “but”.
Cons of Freelance Writing:
- You are as much responsible for your failure as for success. This can form a serious psychological block that will keep you from realizing your full potential.
- This business will require some initial investment. At the very least, you will have to keep your day job to pay the bills before you get your freelance writing business running.
- You will also require a good website and tools, such as paper, computer, printer, ink, etc.
- Some of your clients can be less than pleasant people, and a few of them will definitely try to trick you and withhold money. You’ll need to learn how to avoid these people and how to deal with them if you get caught in a situation like this.